- The Apostle Paul is writing this letter to Titus
- He says that at one time he too was foolish, disobedient, deceived and enslaved by his passions and pleasures
- He was hated and also hated others himself
- God’s love through Jesus came and saved him
- This was not because of anything Paul did but because of God’s mercy
- We are saved through the rebirth and renewal of the Holy Spirit
- We are justified by His grace and we have become heirs
- We have the hope of eternal life
- He instructed Titus to stress that those who have trusted God devote themselves to doing what is good
- These things are excellent and profitable for everyone
Paul trained Titus because he wanted them to lead far after he was gone. Titus was one of Paul’s trusted companions and closest friends. He wanted to teach Titus and other believers that the church must be built on Christ and not some other person who is a great speaker or leader. Part of this training was trying to show them what right living looks like in society. Many think freedom means they can do anything they want. However, this just enslaves us. Jesus saved us and gives us true freedom. I am justified because of His grace. I am a child of God because of His mercy. Because of this I should always devote myself to doing what is good (how the Lord defines it in His word).
Lord help me to build on a solid foundation, which is Christ. Help me with this in my life and in the ministries you have me lead. Help me to stay free from the things that can enslave me and teach others to do the same. I thank you that I am Your child because of what You have done. I devote myself to doing what You ask of me and instruct me to do in Your word. I love you Jesus. Amen.
Posted on Thu, February 4, 2016
by joel king