· The things that Paul use to be think were so important he now believes are not important at all
· When Paul compares knowing Christ Jesus with the other things of life, everything else comes up short in importance
· He has stopped focusing on the everything else that he might concentrate mainly on Christ
· When you have something as valuable as Christ everything else is just garbage in comparison
· Paul no longer gains his significance from trying hard to do the rights things but putting his faith in what Jesus accomplished for him
· If we want to be right with God, we must have faith
· Paul’s greatest desire is to personally experience and know Jesus, to experience the same power in his life that raised Jesus from the dead, be faithful in suffering for good as Jesus did, so that he might experience resurrection and be restored back into eternal relationship with God.
· Paul is not saying that he has achieved such a high standard of perfection, but this goal of focus and pursuit of Christ is where he is trying to put his best effort
· He is trying to forget the values of the past and aggressively move forward with his eyes on glory
· He works hard, not for this life, but to finish this life well and enter into the eternal life in heaven that God has called us to.
· I need to evaluate my priorities in life. What is really important to me? I’m I still running after temporal things or are my sights squarely on glory and hearing “well done good and faithful servant” from my Lord?
· Part of being heavenly minded is suffering for Jesus, sharing in his own suffering. Am I willing to suffer as my Lord did? Where am I avoiding the hard thing because I still value the old way of life rather than life in Christ?
· Maybe I the measurement for faithfulness isn’t so much doing the right things as it is focusing on the right things. Maybe Jesus does the right things in me when I put all my effort in focusing and pursuing him?
Forgive me for holding on so tightly to some of the values of this world. I sometimes get so caught up in being successful that I lose focus on what really matters. I want to know you and experience your life transforming power more. Help me focus on pursuing you today even amidst the daily details of life. Show me how to run the race well and set my sight on glory. Give me courage to follow the example of Christ and do your will even when it hurts. Open my eyes to what it means to pursue you today, and let me be a light to others who need to experience your love and power.
In Jesus Name I Pray, AMEN.
Posted on Wed, January 6, 2016
by joel king