· They had been taught not to murder for they would be judged harshly by God
· But Jesus says that even if they are angry with someone they are in danger of this judgment
· A discouraging word is a serious offence, and a verbal attack is worthy of the sentence of eternity in hell
· In light of the importance of relationships Jesus recommends the following. If you come to worship God, but remember you are in broken relationship with someone, stop your worship and first go make things right in that relationship. Then return and worship before the Lord.
· Relationships are important, and I need to lovingly live at peace with people, as far as it depends on me.
· God has a high standard. He considers the effect of my attitudes and words on people to be just as important as physical violence. Thus I need to be careful with my speech and grow more and more to be a person of loving encouragement.
Forgive me for the careless words that I have spoken to others. Open my eyes to any relationships that are broken and give me the courage to go make those right. Empower me by the power of the Holy Spirit to grow more and more to be a man of encouragement. I want people to look forward to talking with me because I exude your love and grace. Would you do that work in me? Thank you for encouraging me and laying down your own life for me, even when I was your enemy.
In the name of Jesus I pray, AMEN
Posted on Thu, January 7, 2016
by joel king