- James tells us to be patient as we wait for the Lord's return, and gives aspecificexample to follow
- Farmers wait patiently and with great expectation for rain to turn their seedlings into a bountiful harvest (for without the rain, the harvest will fail)
- we must be patient with courage as we await Christ's return.
- As we wait, we should not grumble against our brothers and sisters, for we will be judged by the Judge that is near, just outside the door!
- when one needs an example of patience in suffering, one just needs to remember the prophets who endured great suffering as they proclaimed God's Word.
- Great honor is shown to those who patiently endure.
- God did not abandon Job, but rewarded Him at the end, because of His kindness, tenderness, and love.
It's hard to be patient. Because of that the Lord knows we need encouragement to keep on keeping on. The example of farmers and the prophets reminds us to be patient in the everyday and in persecution. I should be encouraged by the fact that there are people way more patient than myself, and aspire to be like my Lord who defined patience for me.
Jesus, thank you for your example and then example of those who came before. Sometimes I can endure a situation and yet be set off by the smallest thing a minute later. I pray you would transform me, let my love be patient and kind toward everyone I come into contact with. Thank you for my wife who is patient and kind with me, giving a glimpse of your patience and kindness towards us. Amen.
Posted on Mon, January 25, 2016
by joel king