Therefore, do not throw away your confidence, which has a great reward.
For you have need of endurance, so that when you have done the will of God, you may receive what was promised.
For yet in a very little while,
He who is coming will come, and will not delay.
But My righteous one shall live by faith;
And if he shrinks back, My soul has no pleasure in him.
But we are not of those who shrink back to destruction, but of those who have faith to the preserving of the soul.
Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see. 2This is what the ancients were commended for.
Context of the passage: The author is speaking to a group who, after believing, endured great conflict and suffering, including the joyful seizure/plundering of their property.
Others though, rejected the message, “trampled under food the Son of God, “regarded an unclean the blood of the covenant,” and “insulted the Spirit of grace.”
It seems that people fall into one of two camps:
1) Those who keep their confidence in Christ and live by faith. They:
· Have need of endurance
· Do the will of God
· Have a great reward
· May receive what is promised
· Have their souls preserved
· They have confidence in what they hope for
· They have assurance of what they do not see
· They will be commended
2) Then are those who shrink back:
· They shrink back to destruction
· God’s soul has no pleasure in such a person.
What do we learn about God?
· He wants us to do His will
· He rewards those who endure
· He wants His people to live by faith
· God’s soul takes no pleasure in those who shrink back.
· He commends those who live by faith
1. How do I daily keep my confidence in Christ and live by faith?
2. Are there areas of struggle where I need to endure and continue to seek and do God’s will?
3. Are there any areas where I am shrinking back and not living by faith?
Lord, I want to daily keep my confidence in You. How do I do that each day? What does that look like? Show me how to trust in you and live by faith. Please help me to not shrink back when things get hard. It’s been a hard week Lord. Thank you that you are at my right hand to help me and to strengthen me. Please give me wisdom. Help me to continue to move forward in faith. Thank you that you reward those who put their trust in You. Thank you that you are faithful to your promises. Help me specifically endure this week with with a tough class and some defiant kids. Help me also to continue to pray for the lost and faithfully reach out to those who don’t know you. Help me love my neighbors, Trinity family, and students – in ways that honor your name. Amen.
Posted on Wed, March 16, 2016
by joel king