· Jesus set us free so we can live free
· Therefore, stand firm and resist the slavery of keeping the law
· If they try and earn God’s favor by being circumcised, the grace of God will be of no use to them
· If you try and earn God’s favor by being circumcised you are obligated to keep the whole law
· And if you are trying to be justified by the law, you have rejected grace and therefore have rejected the Messiah
· We wait in faith for the day we will be declared righteous because of our faith in Jesus
· Keeping the law doesn’t matter, but having faith in him does
· They were doing well running after grace, but they let someone slow them down and burden them with lies.
· Those teachings are not from God, the little lies work their way and spoil the whole batch of truth like yeast in dough
· Those who are teaching this will give account to God and be judged harshly
· Paul is not preaching circumcision, in fact he is in prison because he has not insisted on the law being kept by the gentiles
· He reminds them that they were intended to be free from the law, and he reminds them that just because they are free from the law doesn’t mean that they should indulge their sinful desires
· Instead they should use that freedom to love one another just as the commandment says
· If they don’t practice the law of love they will tear each other down
· So if they want to live by something, don’t live by the law but by the guidance of the Holy Spirit which lives in them
· Their natural desires want to destroy them, but in stark contrast the desire of the Spirit is to lead them to life
· Following the Spirit is different than following the law
· If you are living by your natural desires the results will be the same things that you did before Jesus which shows you never really had Jesus in the first place
· However, if you live by the Holy Spirit the results will be drastically different for your life will be marked by love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.
· These things are in cooperation with every law
· If you belong to Christ you consider the old nature crucified with Jesus, and you act as if it is dead to you.
· Instead, you live by following the guidance of the Holy Spirit one step at a time
· So follow the Spirit and you won’t grow conceited, angering one another, and becoming jealous of one another.
· I am no longer obligated to keep the rules to please God, but need to focus on grace.
· However, just because I am accepted by God because of grace doesn’t mean that I should fulfill every evil desire.
· I now have the Holy Spirit that lives in me. I need to follow his guidance and step by step he will change my life to look like Jesus.
· My life will never be perfect, but if the Holy Spirit is really in me, I should progressively grow in the areas of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.
Dear Heavenly Father,
Again, I can’t thank you enough for extending grace to me. Having to keep the law would have been an impossible task for me. I also thank you for not leaving me in the ocean of destructive desires that drown me and lead to death. Thank you for taking up residence in my very soul, and giving me the opportunity to be transformed. Forgive me for taking your grace for granted at times and being lazy in letting my desires go unchecked. Give me spiritual ears to hear your voice, open my eyes to the ways of the Spirit, and give me courage to follow in step that my life may grow. May my life increasingly be marked by love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. In Jesus Name I Pray. AMEN
Posted on Tue, May 12, 2015
by joel king