· The Sadducees had Peter and John arrested because they were preaching about Jesus and that there is a resurrection
· They were put into jail for a trial the next day
· The message that they had preached before being arrested saw the number of followers of Jesus grow to about 5,000
· The next day Peter and John were questioned before the entire council in Jerusalem
· The primary question was by what power or in whose name had they performed the miracle
· Peter answered that it was by the name of Jesus that the man was healed.
· He declared that the same Jesus who had been crucified was now raised
· Then he quotes Psalm 118:22 to confirm that they had rejected Jesus who was the one from God they should of received
· Peter also declares that only through Jesus can someone be saved
· They were astonished at the boldness and courage of these uneducated men. However, they took note that one of the explanations was that they had been followers of Jesus.
· It was hard to find fault in Pater and John because the healed man was standing right there.
· The religious leaders excepted the miracle happened, but rejected that it authenticated the message
· They then ordered the two not to preach Jesus
· But Peter and John declared that they couldn’t follow that order because they were compelled by God to tell others about Jesus.
· Because of the miracle and the support of the people the religious leaders had to let them go.
· Peter and John then reported back to the church about what had happened, and then the church gave praise to God
· They thanked God for the Messiah and prayed straight from Psalm 2:1-2 which speaks of the Messiah
· They prayed for boldness ion the midst of opposition from the city leaders
· They also prayed for signs and miracles to accompany their message
· Then the Holy Spirit moved in them and they all spoke about Jesus boldly (like they prayed)
· A brief description of the church at this time is given
o Everyone was willing to share with the others
o The apostles declared the resurrection of Jesus
o There was no one that had an unmet need because those that had means shared it with the church as need arose
o It ends with a specific example of Barnabas selling a piece of land and giving all the proceeds to the apostles to help anyone in need.
· When I share about Jesus I need to make sure one of the main things I share is the resurrection
· I am qualified for ministry, not because of fancy Bible education or importance on my part, but by the power of the Holy Spirit in me. It should be evident that I have been with Jesus.
· I should not be dissuaded from sharing Jesus with others if I feel God is calling me to do so. I am to obey God over mankind.
· I need to be more open handed with what God has blessed me with and share it with others in the church that are in need
Thank you for your love in sending your only Son as Messiah that through him I might receive salvation. Show me who I need to share boldly with the message about your love, the resurrection, and the salvation found in Jesus. Help me put you above all else. If there is a brother or sister in need that you want me to be more generous with, please open my eyes and stir your generosity within me.
In the name of my savior, Jesus, I pray. AMEN
Posted on Mon, February 9, 2015
by Joel King