· Paul is sent with a guard to Italy to stand trial before Caesar
· Julius, the guard in charge of Paul, allowed him to spend time with friends
· Luke describes the many places they went and the bad weather they faced along the way
· The delays were so much they ended up sailing at the beginning of the storm season
· Paul warned them not to continue, but they ignored his advice and ended up amidst a hurricane
· Luke describes the long battle with the hurricane and that those aboard believed they would die
· Finally Paul addresses those aboard and tells them about an angel who visited him the night before
· The angel said that Paul must stand before Caesar and so his life would be spared. The angel also said that his companions would be spared, though the ship itself was going to be sunk.
· After a couple of weeks being driven by the storm they found that they were nearing land.
· Some of the crew thought they were going to hit bottom, sink, and die. So they tried to sneak off in the life boats.
· Paul noticed and told the Centurion that if some left and didn’t trust the angel’s word, all would be lost (except for Paul who needed to stand before Caesar)
· Paul encouraged them that God’s word would prove true and all would survive. They all ate one last meal, and then in faith of Paul’s message they through the rest of the barrels overboard to lighten the ship and keep her afloat.
· When daylight broke they saw land and ran the ship aground, however they got caught on a sand bar and the surf tore the ship apart
· The soldiers wanted to protect their own lives by making sure none of the prisoners escaped by killing them
· The centurion realized that Paul was the reason they were alive and stopped the soldiers from caring out their plan
· Then all made it safely to shore
· If God is for us, nothing can be against us (neither person or storm)
· God blessing not only extend to us, but often in His mercy He extends it to those we care about
You are amazing! You can calm the sea or use its power to carry out your purposes. Forgive me for not trusting you more. Open my eyes to those you have planned on me sharing with. Guide my paths to their doors as you did Paul on his way to Jerusalem. I also ask in your mercy and grace that you continue to show my family your favor and bless the gathering in Sunnyvale. May they experience the power of your might and the gentleness of your love.
In Jesus name I pray, AMEN
Posted on Wed, March 11, 2015
by Joel King