- After the 7th seal was opened, there was silence in heaven for about half an hour.
- John saw seven angels who stand before God and they were given seven trumpets.
- Another angel came and was given incense to offer with the prayers of God’s people.
- The incense and prayers went up before God from the angel’s hand.
- Then the seven angels prepared to sound the trumpets.
- The first sounded his and hail and fire mixed with blood was hurled down on the earth. A third of the earth, trees and all the grass were burned up.
- The second angel sounded his and a huge mountain ablaze was thrown into the sea. A third of the sea turned into blood, a third of the living creatures died and a third of the ships were destroyed.
- The third angel sounded his and a great star fell from the sky on a third of the rivers and on the springs. The star called Wormwood turned a third of the waters bitter and many died from the bitter waters.
- The fourth angel sounded his and a third of the sun, moon and stars were struck and a third of them turned dark. A third of the day and night was without light.
- An eagle was flying and called out: “Woe! Woe! Woe to the inhabitants of the earth because of the trumpet blasts about to be sounded by the other three angels!”
There was silence for a half hour. This must have seemed like forever after all of the activity that was happening before. During this time, the only activity was the prayers of the saints. We have to learn how to be quiet and honor God for his power and might. Silence conveys trust and confidence in God. When the seventh seal is opened, the seven trumpet judgments are revealed. In the same way, the seven trumpet judgments will announce the seven bowl judgments. They are only partial judgments. God’s final and complete judgment has not come yet. The angel throwing the incense burner on the earth symbolizes the judgment of God released on earth in answer to the prayers of the saints for justice for those who have oppressed and killed them. Vindication is in God’s hands. Pray to God for justice. The trumpet blasts have 3 purposes: to warn that judgment is certain, to call the forces of good and evil to battle, to announce the return of the Messiah. We need to make sure that our faith is firmly fixed on Christ. The image of the eagle symbolizes swiftness and destruction.
Lord as I read this, I am in awe and have a reverence of You. I think of all of the people who live as if there is no God. I thank You and acknowledge that there is no one like You. You are the Most High. Everything is in Your hands. Help me to always honor You. I want my faith to always be firmly fixed on You no matter what is happening in my life. I cannot imagine what it will be like to live this out but I do trust You. You are you only are my Lord and Savior. I love you.
Posted on Thu, December 10, 2015
by Brian Landers