- After the battle of armies (good vs evil) John sees an angel coming down out of heaven holding the key to the Abyss and a chain.
- The angel seizes the dragon, who is the devil/Satan, and binds him with the chain. Satan will then be thrown into the Abyss and sealed for 1,000 years so he cannot deceive the nations of the world. After 1,000 years he will be set free for a short time.
- John then sees thrones and those who have been given authority to judge.
- The First Resurrection
- He also sees the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony about Jesus Christ and the word of God. They had not worshiped the beast or its image or taken its mark on their forehands or hands.
- These will be resurrected and reign with Christ for the 1,000 years.
- The rest of the dead will not come to life until the 1,000 years are over.
- Those who are resurrected are blessed and holy, the second death has no power over them.
- They will be priests of God and of Christ and reign with him for a thousand years.
- This is the first resurrection.
- When the 1,000 years are over, Satan will be released from his Abyss prison and will go out to deceive the nations of the four corners of the earth – Gog and Magog.
- Once they are gathered together for battle, they will be like the sand on the seashore.
- They will travel over the earth and surround the camp/city of God’s people.
- Fire will rain down from heaven and devour the armies following Satan.
- Satan will be thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown and they will all be tormented day and night forever and ever.
- John then sees a great white throne and the One seated on it.
- The earth and the heavens fled away at His presence and there was no place for them.
- Then all of the dead, great and small, stand before the throne and books were opened.
- In addition to these books, another book was opened, which is the book of life.
- The dead will be judged based on their actions written in the other books that were opened.
- The sea, death, and Hades gave up all the dead they possessed and each person was judged according to what they had done.
- Death and Hades are thrown into the lake of fire, which is the second death.
- If someone’s name is not written in the book of life, they are thrown into the lake of fire.
The deeds that we have done will be/are written in books which will be recounted. Our lives will be given an account for. I rest in knowing that Christ has promised that my name is written in the book of life. But knowing that there is Mark’s book waiting for me, I should live in such a way as if everyone is watching. I will have to give an account for my decisions, my words, my reactions, and my thoughts.
Jesus, thank you for grace, because I could not do this on my own. Spirit would you move in me this week to live and act like you would. I thank you that you are working in me and helping me to be the man you want me to be. Amen.
Posted on Mon, December 28, 2015
by Brian Landers