- Having explained a lot of details to the disciples, Jesus now spends time praying for Himself, for His disciples, and for all who may believe.
- Bringing glory to the Son brings glory to the Father.
- Jesus was granted authority to give eternal life to those who have been given to Him.
- Jesus defines eternal life: that we may know the only true God and Jesus Christ whom He sent.
- Glory was brought to the Father by the works of Jesus. The Father would glorify Jesus in His presence like He always was before the incarnation.
- Jesus explains that He has shown the Father to His disciples and they have believed. He relayed everything He was supposed to say, and they accepted His words from God wholeheartedly.
- He then prays for the disciples, that the Father would protect them as Jesus will no longer be with them. Jesus was faithful to keep them safe and asks that the Father does the same.
- He prays that they may experience the full measure of His joy within them.
- The world hates them because of them, and Jesus prays that they would be protected from the world rather than being taken out of it.
- Finally, He prays that they would be sanctified by the Father, His Word, and the work He is about to do on the cross.
- Jesus then prays for those who will believe on account of the disciples’ message.
- He prays that they (we) would be one with each other and with the Trinity, so that the world might recognize the validity of Christ. It is through the glory we have been given the love we share that the world would recognize this.
- Jesus prays that all believers would be with Him and see His glory.
- Jesus made the Father known to us and continues to do that work so that the Father’s love and Jesus Himself would be in us.
Jesus prayed a pretty great prayer. The amount of love He has for the Father, His disciples, and all believers is evident. The one thing that jumped out today is the application that Jesus desired for all who believed in Him. It is crazy to me that Jesus prayed for me! I fall in the category of people who responded to the message passed on by the disciples!
So I must ask myself, is the unity and glory of God evident in myself and the relationships I have with other believers? I can see how some of my friendships have that influence, but I also see that others need to be worked on.
Jesus, I praise you that you are alive and well, still working in our world and our lives. I praise you for giving us the Spirit to be with us every second of the day. Please help me to have better relationships with other Christians that point others to Christ. Would you make your glory known through these relationships and may people see your love spilling out to the world around us. It is by your power I live and move and have my being. I pray these things in your name, amen.
Posted on Fri, November 13, 2015
by Brian Landers