- After eating the scroll that was handed to him, John is given a reed like a measuring rod and told to measure the temple of God, the altar, and to count all the worshipers.
- He is specifically told not to measure the outer court, because it has been given to the Gentiles who will trample the holy city for 42 months (3 ½ years).
- The Lord reveals to John that there will be two witnesses at this time. They will be clothed in sackcloth and prophesy for 1,260 days (a few days more than 3 ½ years).
- These two witnesses are like two olive trees and two lampstands that stand before the Lord.
- If someone tries to harm the witnesses, fire will come from their mouths and devour the attackers.
- The two witnesses will have power to close up the sky and prevent it from raining during their time, to turn water into blood, and to strike the earth with any kind of plague whenever they want.
- When their time is up, the beast from the Abyss will attack them and kill them.
- Their bodies will lie in the street for 3 ½ days because the world will refuse to bury them and be celebrating their deaths. This will happen in the same city the Lord was crucified (literally would be Jerusalem), which is also called Sodom and Egypt.
- The world will gloat over them and send presents to each other to celebrate because these two witnesses tormented them.
- After the 3 ½ days, breath of life from God will enter the two witnesses and they will stand up. Everyone who sees this will be terrified.
- A voice from heaven will call to the two witnesses, saying, “Come up here”, and they will be taken up to heaven in a cloud while all their enemies watch.
- After they are taken up, a massive earthquake strikes and a tenth of the city collapses. Seven thousand people will die, but the survivors, in terror, will give glory to the God of heaven.
- The second woe has passed, the third woe is coming soon.
- The seventh angel sounds his trumpet and loud voices in heaven say that the kingdom of the world now belongs to the Kingdom of our Lord and His Christ, who will reign forever and ever.
- The 24 elders fall before God in worship, praising Him for His power and His reign.
- The time for judgment has come, rewarding those who revere His name and destroying those who destroy the earth.
- Then God’s temple in heaven is opened and the ark of His covenant is seen. Then came flashes of lightning, rumblings and peals of thunder, an earthquake and a great hailstorm.
Stand firm. There is coming a time when the majority of the world’s inhabitants will rejoice at the deaths of God’s servants. But the story does not end there. We know that the time is coming when God will judge the living and the dead. Just like the two witnesses, we will rise again no matter what the world may do to us.
We who faithfully follow Christ will be rewarded if we stand firm and do not shrink back. Even if the whole world is crashing down or even against us, we still follow Christ.
Lord, I thank you for the truth that you do not leave us on our own. Though the world may ridicule or be completely against us, you are with us and you are stronger. I pray you would use me to spread the Good News and share with others about you, no matter the cost. Amen.
Posted on Tue, December 15, 2015
by Brian Landers