1 Timothy 6
1 Timothy 6:1-21
- Right away Paul is talking about our attitudes and the condition of our hearts
- He doesn’t address slavery but rather how as Christians we should be no matter the circumstance
- Paul then goes on to describe people who teach anything other than sound teaching of Jesus. He describes them as people who want to cause division and are only interested in personal gain
- We should be content with what we have knowing the Lord has provided for us
- One of the most misquoted verses of the bible is that money is the root of all evil. The LOVE of money is the root of all evil and this love has caused people to wander from the faith
- Paul then tells us to flee all of that and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness
- Faith is a good fight to take on
- Tell people who are rich not to put their hope in things but in God
- Tell them also to do good and be generous
- He closes with telling Timothy to guard what has been entrusted to him
- Turn away for meaningless conversations that may sound good
Overall Paul seems to be talking a lot about godliness and sound teaching. We should pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness. We should fight the good fight of faith. We should be content with what we have so we do not fall into temptation. We should turn away from godless conversations even if it seems like knowledge. Stay focused on the sound instructions of Jesus.
Paul was writing this to Timothy while he was in Ephesus. It’s amazing the similarities that we have today especially in the bay area. There are a lot of very intelligent people and we live in one of the wealthiest areas in the world. So we encounter different teachings that seem to make sense but I have to remind myself that they are foolishness in God’s eyes. His word is alive not theirs. I need to actively go after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness. It is not a passive thing. I need to be intentional about it.
Lord thank you for Your word. Help me to know it and never be deceived by other teachings that may sound intelligent. Give me the grace to go after and pursue those things you have instructed us to. Give me wisdom to know the difference between conversations that build up and conversations that are designed to cause division and are meaningless. In Jesus name.
Posted on Fri, July 3, 2015
by Brian Landers