1 Peter 5:5-7
1 Peter 5:5-7
- Peter is giving instructions about relationships
- He is instructing younger people to submit themselves to their elders
- Everyone needs to clothe themselves with humility toward one another
- God opposes the proud and shows favor to the humble
- Humble ourselves under God’s hand
- God will lift us up in due time
- Cast all our anxieties to him because He cares
Submitting and humility are two things that are very hard to be and do. I think of a baby and often they know how to say the word “mine”. They aren’t taught that word. They just instinctively know it. All through life we have to learn how to be selfless. We have to learn how to be humble and submit to authority. Submitting really isn’t submitting until I disagree with someone. That’s when it becomes hard. I reflect on the things I have had to go through and what God is done in my life in regards to submitting and humility. Then I realize I still have a long way to go. I do realize that submitting and humility are very important in the Kingdom of God. Jesus was our ultimate example. He modeled humility and submission when he became a man. He modeled humility and submission by the way he interacted with people and how he handled things. I heard someone say that humble people don’t get offended.
Lord thank you for being the ultimate example of what this looks like. Thank you for all that you have done in my heart. Thank you that you are still working this in me. Forgive me when I rebel and want to do my own thing. I willingly submit myself to you. I need you Lord. Have your way with me. In Your name.
Posted on Thu, February 11, 2016
by joel king