1 Peter 2:1-5
1 Peter 2:1-5
· Therefore (V. 1:23 - since you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God) God’s born again people should get rid of malice, deceit, hypocrisy, envy and slander of every kind.
· After newborns taste milk they crave it all the time. So too are we to crave our spiritual milk—the living and enduring word of God so that we grow in our salvation
· Jesus is the living Stone—rejected by humans but chosen by God and precious to him
· We come to Jesus as his living stones as God builds us into the temple of the Spirit to be a holy priesthood offering spiritual sacrifices to God through Jesus Christ
· All true believers are not just spiritually born again but their mental, emotional and social character changes as they rid themselves of sinful attitudes and behavior. Be aware of fleshly and worldly thinking and replace it with God’s truth and Scripture.
· God’s word is spiritual food that grows my faith. Most often I look forward to meals but sometimes I eat as a discipline knowing my body needs the nourishment. In the same way I need to feed on God’s word whether I feel spiritually hungry or not
· God’s presence dwelled at one time through a physical temple with priests set apart to offer blood sacrifices to reconcile people’s sin before Jehovah. Those who are born again are now living stones and a holy priesthood that together create the temple of God’s Spirit. A stone by itself has limited use but when I come together with other stones God’s presence dwells our living temple…
Holy Father, how we need your Word and the fellowship of our fellow stones and priests. May you grow our Trinity groups that are meeting throughout the week into living temples that crave your Word and grow up to be reproduce more newborns for your family who so the same. Father, help us spur each other to rid ourselves of fleshly attitudes and behavior that stunt our growth and mature us as a people who equipped for works of service. In Jesus name, Amen
Posted on Fri, February 5, 2016
by joel king