1 John 2
1 John 2:1-29
- John is writing so that the readers will not sin, but also to remind us that if we sin, we have Jesus Christ to speak on our behalf. He was the sacrifice not only for our sins, but that of the whole world.
- To obey God’s commands is to know God.
- To claim a knowing relationship with God, but not obey His commands is to prove oneself to be a liar and show that the truth is not in them.
- God’s love is made complete in those who obey His commands. Walking/living as Jesus did is the testimony of those who are in Him.
- John writes a new and old command. It is old as they have heard all this from the beginning, but it is also new as the darkness is passing away and true light is shining.
- Those who claim to be in the light should love their brother. Those who hate their brother are not in the light, but stumble in the darkness.
- John then encourages the children, because their sins have been forgiven on account of Jesus’ name and that they have known the Father.
- John encourages fathers, because they have known Him who is from the beginning.
- John encourages the young men, because they are strong, the word of God lives in them, and that they have overcome the evil one.
- To love the world and the things of the world, the cravings of sinful man, the lust of the eyes, and the pride in possessions and self, is to hate God. The world and its things will pass away, but the man of God who does His will will live forever.
- John then warns against any people who are against Christ. These antichrists deny both the Father and the Son.
- Those who believe know the truth and should stick with what they have believed from the beginning. To remain in the Son, and the Father, is to have eternal life. The anointing on their lives will continue to teach them and point them to truth, they have no need for false teachers.
- As His children, we should continue to do what is good so that we appear confident and unashamed before him.
John does a good job encouraging the believer to stay strong. As we are SECURE, we boldly press in to God’s plan and continue to fight the good fight. Even with the busy holiday season and the added stresses of life, I am called to appear with confidence and freedom from shame. If I claim to walk in love and the light, I need to walk the talk.
Lord, the worries of life and frustrations that arise so easily distract me from loving. I pray for the strength this week to love no matter what. To focus on the now and see what opportunities you have given me. I pray that you would be with me and prove yourself to be real in this world through my actions, amen.
Posted on Mon, November 23, 2015
by Brian Landers