1 Corinthians 8:9-13
1 Corinthians 8:9-13
- After sharing the knowledge that they are free to eat meat offered to idols, Paul shares the greater principle that they cannot use their freedom if it cause a brother or sister in Christ to fall to temptation
- Paul gives example of someone who struggles with the old life of idol worship seeing another Christian freely eat inside the temple of a false idol
- Seeing the “stronger” Christian freely eating could entice them into going against their own conscious and return to eat at the temple of the false idol they once worshipped.
- So in practicing a Christians freedom they ruin the spiritual life of a brother or sister in Christ that Jesus died for
- When we cause others to stumble who are weak or new to the faith, we are sinning against them, and therefore we are sinning against Christ
- Paul concludes that if eating meat offered to idols cause a brother or sister in Christ to stumble he would choose never to eat meat again rather than hurt his brother or sister in Christ
There are movies, alcoholic drinks, entertainment, music, etc. that I may find the freedom in Christ to engage in because it does not cause me to stumble. However, I must be careful that my freedom does not cause a fellow Christian to stumble. Maybe one of those items had a hold on them when they were immersed in the world. If I know about what they struggle with, then it is better for me to forgo that freedom than to lead my brother or sister into a temptation which would lead them away from Christ who died for them. This does not mean that I need to live by the rules that every Christian wants to oppose upon me, but rather if it directly relates to causing them to stumble in their faith. I need to forgo my freedom for their benefit.
Father, thank you for freeing me from the minutia of the law, and allowing me to live under the law of grace and love. Help me rightly divide my spiritual freedoms so that I do not violate the law of love by causing another brother or sister to stumble. Please reveal to me any issues in my life that I might be unaware of how I am causing others to stumble. Lord, give me discernment between those that are just trying to get me to live by their self-imposed rules and those that legitimately struggle with stumbling blocks. Help me live a life of humility and love. In Jesus Name I Pray, AMEN.
Posted on Tue, September 26, 2017
by joel king