1 Corinthians 16:1-23
1 Corinthians 16:1-23
- Paul wants to give some last instruction on the money the Corinth church is collecting to help out the church in Jerusalem
- These are the same instructions he gave the church in Galatia
- During the gathering on Sunday, they are to collect the money so it is ready when he comes.
- Each person should give according to their ability
- Paul will then send the money along with a representative to the church in need in Jerusalem. If possible Paul will go too.
- Paul will be going through Macedonia to get to them, and his hope is to spend some time with them, not just pass through.
- He will not leave Ephesus for Corinth until after the Pentecost celebration since he has some good ministry opportunities coming up
- Paul has encouraged Apollos to also visit them, and he will when he can.
- Paul urges them to keep careful watch and be strong in their faith, and above all do everything in love.
- He encourages them to be an encouragement to those who are laboring in the ministry
- He sends greetings from the church where he is at as well as his own greeting
- He concludes by declaring that God’s grace and love be to them that are in Christ Jesus
Paul gives the church some final instructions and some personal information. Then he recaps the letter with one last challenge.
Be on your guard - They were to be constantly watchful or alert for spiritual enemies that might slip in and threaten to destroy them, whether it be divisions (1:10-17; 11:18), pride (3:18-21), sin (5:1-8), disorder (14:40), or erroneous theology (15:12).
Stand true to what you believe - that is, the gospel that they had been taught in the beginning, the gospel that they had accepted, and the gospel that had brought them salvation (15:1-2).
Be courageous - so that they could stand against false teachers, deal with sin in the congregation, and straighten out the problems that Paul had addressed in this letter.
Be strong - with the strength given by the Holy Spirit.
Finally, do everything with love - because without love, they would be no more than prideful noisemakers (chapter 13).
Father, help me be on my guard and stand true to what I believe about You and Your love for me. Help me be strong and courageous in how I live for You. And above all, may my life be characterized by love. In Jesus name I pray, AMEN.
Posted on Fri, October 27, 2017
by joel king