1 Corinthians 13:8-13
1 Corinthians 13:8-13
- Love never dies, fades, or fails
- Inspired insight will be over some day;
- Speaking in different languages will end;
- Understanding will reach its limit.
- We know only a portion of the truth, and what we say about God now is always incomplete.
- But when the Perfect One arrives, our incompletes will be canceled.
- When we were kids we spoke, thought, and reasoned like a kid (incomplete)
- But when I became an adult I changed my childish speech, thoughts, and reason
- Right now we don’t know God completely and intimately
- But in the end we will know God face to face, completely
- Now we know a part of God, but then we will know God fully just as He knows us fully
- Three things that we should pursue above all else: faith, hope, & love
- Love is the greatest of the three
Paul wants the church in Corinth to keep spiritual gifts in perspective. There will come a day when we will see Christ face to face. At that time the spiritual gifts that are needed for the building up of the church now, will no longer be needed. At that time we will not only know God intimately, but we will have a perfect understanding and appreciation for one another as unique expressions of God's infinite creativity. Paul writes that love endures forever and is the prevailing characteristic that the Christian should develop. Faith is the foundation and a sign of our trust in God's message; hope is the attitude and focus; love is the action. Faith leads to action when we don’t understand; hope influences action when we want to quit; and love is both the action itself as well as the motivation for the action. When faith and hope are in line, we are free to love completely because we understand how God loves. The question we each must ask ourselves is “does my faith fully express itself in loving others?”
Father, would you grow in me Your kind of love. My I have the faith to follow you when I don’t understand the why. May I have the hope to follow You when life gets hard knowing that You work all things for my good. And may my life be marked by love not only in my actions but in the motivations of my heart. In Jesus name I pray, AMEN.
Posted on Tue, October 17, 2017
by joel king